Australia-China Agricultural Forum
Click here for final program for 2003 (Word format, 2 pages)
Link to map of
Hawkesbury Campus of the University of Western Sydney (Richmond, NSW)
Link to opening
remarks by Professor Michael Wilson, Dean, College of Science, Technology
and Environment, University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury Campus
Link to speech by Michael C. H. Jones at opening ceremony (Monday evening)
Link to speech by Jim Murison at opening of sessions (Tuesday morning)
Link to closing speech by Dr Rex Stubbs, Mayor of Hawkesbury City (Wednesday evening)
2003 Forum Papers and Presentations
“Vectors of Bluetongue Virus in Ruminants”, by Dr Alan Bishop (Word format, 4 pages)
“Agriculture and Environment
Lessons from 200 Years of European-Style Agriculture”,
”New South Wales Agriculture for the Environment”, by Dr Mike Curll (Word format, 6 pages)
“Recycled Organics – A Role for NSW Agriculture in Environmental Management”, by Dr Trevor Gibson (Word format, 4 pages)
“Managing Farm Chemical Risks in Australia”, by Roger Toffolon (PowerPoint Presentation, 880MB)
“The Australian Pork Industry -- A Green Perspective”, by Murray Spicer (Word format, 3 pages)
“Present Situation and Development Tendency in Agriculture in Hubei Province”, by Chen Degui (Word format, 8 pages) or click here for Chinese version in Powerpoint format
”Generality on Industrialisation of Potatoes in China”, by Ma Heping (Word format – 6 pages)
”Feasibility Study for Building of Improved Breeding and Promoting Systems for Special Purpose Potato Varieties”, by Ma Heping (Word format – 24 pages)
”Feasibility Study for Industrialisation Project for Special Purpose Potatoes Used in Processing of Quick-Frozen Potato Sticks”, by Ma Heping (Word format – 45 pages)
“Modeling Bidirectional Reflectance Property of Multicomponent Rice Canopies”, Shen Guangrong, Huang Danfeng and Wang Renchao (Word format – 8 pages)
“IPM (Integrated Pests Management) Catering to 21st Century in China”, by Dr Yu Dazhao (PowerPoint Presentation, 49KB)
“Low Erucic Low Lucosinolate Oilseed Rape in Hubei Province”, by Wang Yinyuan (Word format, 6 pages) or click here for Chinese version
“Present Situation and
Outlook of Vegetable Production in Hubei, China”, by Zhang Jinsong (Word format, 4 pages or click here for Chinese
Last year the first forum was held in Wuhan City, China, and was hosted by the Hubei Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
The theme for this year’s forum
in Sydney is Agriculture and the Environment.
The officials of the Chamber feel that an Australian presence in these regions is more achievable than competing head-on with the efforts of USA and EU.
The selected region is predominantly rural with some large cities. Wuhan has a population of over 10 million people. Hubei Province has 60 million people and adjoining Hunan Province 90 million people.
Chinese governments at all levels
are realising the need to change their approach to farming, due to the impact
it is having on the environment in China.
The sale of Australian technology and systems directed to reducing the
impact on the environment is seen as an opportunity that can be developed by
Australian organisations and businesses.
Attending will be delegations from Shanghai, Hubei, Gansu, Fujian and Beijing. Other delegations have indicated their attendance depending on approval from the Chinese authorities
Should your company wish to participate in the Forum we would like to have promotional material from you of approximately 30 minutes in length, and preferably translated into Chinese, by Monday 17th November 2003.
The Chinese speeches and promotional material will be translated into English.
All the Australian speakers have
been asked to provide a list of any papers published by themselves, or which
they wish to highlight. The list will
be included in the published papers so that the Chinese can refer to them as
well as the respective speeches.
Dr Richard Sheldrake is Director General of the NSW Department of Agriculture. Dr Sheldrake has a background in research with his expertise being in the immune systems of animals. He has been Director General of NSW Agriculture for the past year. Dr Sheldrake was formerly Deputy Director General of NSW Agriculture and Director of Agsell the international export section of NSW Agriculture. Dr Sheldrake has travelled extensively especially to China, Japan and Korea.
Dr Mike Curll is the current Deputy Director of NSW Agriculture. Dr Curll is chiefly involved in managing the environment issues facing farmers of NSW. Issues such as water allocation for agriculture, land use and impact of farming practices are part of Dr Curlls duties. The political pressures from farming constituencies placed upon the position require careful management of the issues for the best outcomes for NSW farmers.
Dr Trevor Gibson is the Program Leader for the Soil and Waste Management Organic Waste Recycling Unit based at the Richmond Campus of the University of Western Sydney. Dr Gibson works closely with the organization known as Sydney Water, which provides the drinking water for the city of Sydney. He also works with waste disposal authorities and farmers to develop alternative uses for products that were formerly disposed in land fill.
Mr Roger Toffolon has had a lifelong interest in the correct use and management of chemicals used in agriculture. Mr Tofflon’s career has centred on evaluating insect resistance to chemicals and the resulting strategies needed to be developed to over come the ineffectiveness of a chemical to control a pest. Mr Tofflon now heads NSW Agriculture's section to manage the correct use of agricultural chemicals. It must be remembered that Australian Governments strictly regulate which chemicals can be used, how often they can be used, and management of their impact on the environment. Mr Tofflon is responsible for policy decisions made by national regulators being practically applied by NSW farmers.
Spooner-Hart has a
worldwide reputation for his work at Richmond Campus of UWS in the use of
predictors to control harmful insects in horticultural crops. Professor Spooner- Hart's group runs a
commercial insectory at the campus to supply predatory insects to the fruit
and vegetable industries of NSW.
Agriculture Department of Hubei Province
1. Mr. Jia Tianzeng, Deputy Director – The Standing Committee of the People’s Congress, DOB – 19th November 1944
2. Mr. He Shiping, Deputy Director – The Office of Foreign Affairs, Hubei Provincial People’s Government, DOB – 16th September 1953
3. Mr. Wang Yinyuan, Deputy Director – Department of Agriculture, DOB – 2nd August 1944
4. Mr. Hu Lishan, The General Engineer – The Ministry of National Territory Source, DOB – 28th June 1963
5. Mr. Chen Degui, The Secretary – The Ministry of Agriculture Science, DOB – 27th November 1942
6. Mr. Yu Dazhao, Director – The Research Institution of Plant Protection, DOB – 14th November 1956
7. Ms. Guo Yu, Secretary – The Office of People’s Congress, DOB – 21st July 1971
8. Mr. Li Yonghong, Translator – The Office of Foreign Affairs, DOB – 17th March 1960
Group 2 from Hubei Province (invited by Kevin Wang, mobile: 0401-481-701)
1. Mr. Tian Shuxi, Deputy Director, Foreign Cooperation Division, Hubei Provincial Dept of Agriculture, DOB –- 12/01/1966.
2. Mr. Li Shengqiang, Deputy Director, Planning and Financing Division, Hubei Provincial Dept of Agriculture, DOB – 03/09/1966.
3. Mr. Zhang Jinsong, Deputy Director, Vegetable Office, Hubei Provincial Dept of Agriculture, DOB – 18/03/1968.
4. Mr. Cai Yinhong, General Manager, Huangshi Jianfeng Livestock Industry Co., Ltd., DOB –12/02/1963.
5. Mr. Pan Linyang, General Manager, Wuhan Sunshine Fodder Hi-tech Co., Ltd., DOB – 20/01/1962.
Shanghai Science and Technology Committee
1. Ms. Liu Jianping, DOB: 10-03-1952, Deputy director general of Fundamental Science Research Department of Shanghai Science and Technology Committee
2. Mr. Fan Yichao, DOB: 16-02-1951, Deputy director general of Technology Exchange Department of Shanghai Foreign Culture Exchange Association
3. Ms. Shen Guangrong, DOB: 30-12-1964, Associate Professor of Digital Agriculture in Agriculture Department of Shanghai University of Communication
4. Ms. Zhu Shuwen, DOB: 12-02-1960, Associate Professor of Zoology in Agriculture Department of Shanghai University of Communication
5. Mr. Zhang Dabing, DOB: 05-07-1966, Researcher of Plant Molecular Genetics in Shanghai Agriculture Science Institute
6. Mr. Lu Yonghong, DOB: 15-03-1964, Researcher of Animal Nutrition in Shanghai Agriculture Science Institute
7. Ms. Zhang Chun, DOB: 11-02-1965, Staff of Technology Exchange Department of Shanghai Foreign Culture Exchange Association
8. Ms. Zhu Aili, DOB: 14-04-1963, Staff of Technology Exchange Department of Shanghai Foreign Culture Exchange Association
People’s Government of Lanzhou City
1. Mr Pan Weiping, Deputy Mayor, People’s Government of Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, DOB: 05-12-1951
2. Mr Zhang Lirong, Director General, Agriculture and Livestock Bureau of Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, DOB: 03-17-1949
3. Mr Fei Hengchang, Director General, Forestry Bureau of Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, DOB: 12-18-1949
4. Mr Han Xianming, Deputy Administrator, People’s Government of Chengguan District of Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, DOB: 07-16-1968
5. Mr Wei Jinhe, Deputy Magistrate, People’s Government of Yuzhong County of Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, DOB: 07-12-1963
6. Ms Xu Ying, Interpreter, Foreign Affairs Office of People’s Government of Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, DOB: 08-20-1967
Seed Potato Corporation of China National Seed Group
1. Mr. Ma Heping: General Manager, Seed Potato Corporation of China National Seed Group, DOB: 22-01-1949
2. Mr. Yang Xiaoguang, Vice Manager of Industry and Commerce Section of China National Seed Group, DOB: 09-12-1970
Hubei Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise Bureau
1. Mr. Chen Xudong, Vice President, Hubei Small & Medium-Sized Enterprise Bureau,DOB:19-12-1946
2. Mr. Zeng Jianxiong, General Secretary, CCPIT Hubei Township Enterprise Sub-Council, DOB: 06-10-1956
3. Mr. Zhou Dewen, President, Hubei Lianle Group, DOB: 06-11-1963
4. Mr. Yan Jishu, President, Hua Hu Industrial Park of Erzhou City, Hubei Province, DOB: 10-08-1952
5. Mr. Sheng Zhangwen, Vice General Secretary, Government, Erzhou City, Hubei Province DOB: 06-10-1950
6. Mr. Chen Zubin, President, Hubei Ya An Real Estate Co., Ltd., DOB: 16-07-1963
7. Mr. Liu Shangwei, Manager, Wuhan Zhuan Kou Co., Ltd,. DOB: 09-03-1959